The Diverse Academies Trust is overseen by a board of trustees, appointed by our members. As a charity and company limited by guarantee, the board ensures that all legal and statutory responsibilities are carried out, and sets the overall strategic direction for the Trust. At a local level, each academy has its own committee who challenge the senior leadership team to realise the potential of our students.
Board of trustees
Our trustees are responsible for ensuring the Trust meets all of its statutory obligations, but they are also involved in setting the organisation’s vision, ethos and strategic direction. As part of their role, trustees are expected to:
- hold executive leaders to account for educational and financial performance
- be responsible for maintaining stability and the management of a dynamic structure
- contribute to financial planning for sustainability and potential growth
The Trust board meets twice termly, chaired by Mike Quigley, a highly experienced governor and retired company director. Mike has been a governor at various schools for over 30 years. He has also served as a local councillor for more than 20 years and is involved in a number of local charities including being chair of the trustees of Bassetlaw Hospice.
Meet the rest of the board on our people page.
The job of the academy committees is to support and challenge the academy’s senior leadership team to raise achievement and realise the potential of all the students, supporting the vision and ethos of the academy.
Committee members play an important role in trying to ensure that every student at the academy gets the best possible education. They are responsible for:
- ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- holding the principal to account for the educational performance of the academy and its students, plus the performance management of staff
- overseeing the financial performance of the academy and making sure its money is well spent
- engaging with stakeholders, parent/carers, staff and students and the wider community
Each of our academies have the following attendees:
|Type of member||Number of members||Term of office||How they are elected|
|Executive Principal and Principal in each academy||2||Ex-Officio||N/A|
|Staff governor (either teaching or support staff) - optional||1||4 years||Ballot of all staff in the academy|
|Parent governors||2||4 years||Parent election – ballot to be organised by the relevant academy|
|Appointed (community) governors||Between 3 and 7||4 years||Appointed by members of the Academy Committee according to skills required|
|Clerk to the Academy Committee||1||Indefinite||Appointed by the head of governance services|